The Multi-Agency Grants Initiative (MAGI) is a developmental grant-making mechanism currently comprising the RAITH Foundation, C.S. Mott Foundation, Ford Foundation, Hivos, Atlantic Philanthropies, and Open Society Foundation SA. MAGI’s primary role is to contribute towards strengthening the active voice and agency of local communities in shaping their own development, alongside other critical role players in government and civil society.
- MAGI provides direct support to community based organisations (CBOs), as well as less formalised community structures, including national campaigns that impact rural and marginalised urban based women, men, girls and boys
- MAGI will support CBO participation in broader national campaigns and processes particularly where alliances are built with NGO partners
- It plays a convening and learning facilitation role around critical issues that arise from time to time between participating donors
- Facilitates partnerships and rapid responsiveness around key strategic issues impacting on the lives and livelihoods of local communities
- Through capacity development interventions MAGI contributes towards strengthening the capacity of local CBOs to enhance their strategic agency, voice and operations at a local level
- Strengthening the link between CBOs and NGOs
MAGI is managed by the HIVOS South Africa office. An Advisory Committee comprising some of the participating donors and at times identified individuals with particular relevant expertise, plays a strategic oversight role.